≡ Menu

Get Champoeg Creamery’s Magazine, ‘Raw Milk: A Love Story’, for free + recipes and healing stories from the farm!
Yes, please!

How to Easily & Quickly Peel Farm Fresh Hard-Boiled Eggs

You know farm fresh eggs are better for you in so many ways, but how the heck do you peel them quickly without making a mess out of the whites and losing half the egg??

For a long time, I believed that peeling hard boiled eggs was a terrible chore because the shells would stick like glue to the egg. I also thought that it was easier to peel ‘older’ eggs than fresh eggs.

But turns out it’s a myth! It doesn’t matter what kind of egg you’re using – whether it’s straight off the farm or from the store – it has everything to do with the process.

My daughter Hayden has mastered this egg-peeling hack and shows you how in a quick, 5 minute video.

(This video was originally recorded live over in our Facebook group, Real Food, Real Women)

That’s it!  Super easy and about the healthiest fast-food snack you can imagine!

I make hard boiled eggs every week for a quick grab-n-go snack, and if I’ve got the time, I’ll make deviled eggs for an extra special treat 🙂

Here’s the steps –

1. Bring a pot of water to boil: place eggs in the boiling water for 6-8 minutes (soft yolk) or 10-12 minutes (hard yolk)
  2. Pour out the hot water: either pour through a colander or just tip the pot slowly down the sink, being careful not to let the eggs fall out
  3. Crack the egg shells: mix the eggs around in the pot for a few seconds until most of the shells are cracked. They do not have to be covered in cracks, a few good cracks will do. If not all the eggs are cracked, hit them against the pot gently to crack the shell
  4. Cover with ice + cold water: let the cracked eggs sit in the ice water bath for 5-10 minutes and peel egg shells

Voila! Perfectly peeled hard boiled eggs!

No fancy tricks or special equipment, just a simple step that will make your life so much easier.

Add this step to your weekly meal prep for a week’s worth of delicious, healthy snacks.

{ 16 comments… add one }
  • Christine April 20, 2017, 2:18 pm

Love this trick! Will these cracked unpeeled eggs keep as well in the refrigerator as uncracked hard boiled eggs?

• Charlotte Smith April 22, 2017, 8:47 pm

Honestly we eat them before they ever go bad so unsure – try it and let me know 🙂

• Jamie July 18, 2017, 2:27 pm

Thank you SO much for this fabulous way to peel our farm eggs!..Lifesaver!

• Tori November 16, 2017, 3:40 pm

Thank you!!!

• Donna March 15, 2018, 2:10 pm

I am trying this trick now and I sure hope it works because I collect fresh eggs every day from my hens but have not been able to peel them

• Donna March 15, 2018, 2:48 pm

Awesome it really works. Thank you so much for the tip

• Trina March 29, 2018, 4:51 pm

I am so going to try this!!! I hate peeling eggs. Fresh ones has more egg in with the shells than I have left to eat. Going to put eggs on now so I can try this!

• LINDA ADDISON May 6, 2018, 7:13 pm

Thank you thank you thank you thank you! I can hardly wait to try this method. After watching the video, I feel I will be successful!

• Karen May 12, 2018, 2:05 am

I am one happy camper! I needed to make a potato salad, wasn’t thinking ahead and just bought the eggs the day before. As usual, I was apprehensive so I tried it with just six eggs and it worked perfectly so I boiled the rest and didn’t have a stuck shell in the whole 2 dozen eggs!

• Lori May 20, 2018, 3:05 am

Sweet, thanks! I just bought 2 dozen eggs from a local farm, don’t know how fresh they are but i want to pickle them, so i’ll let you know if your method worked for me! thanks again! 🙂

• Lori May 21, 2018, 3:30 pm

Well 9 out of 12 peeled like nothing! I dont know why the shells stuck to 3 of them, but that just meant i should eat them! 🙂

• Tara May 28, 2018, 10:41 pm

If I boil enough for the week, should I leave them in the ice water until ready to peel and eat?? I dont usually peel until I’m ready to eat them.
    Thanks!

• Charlotte Smith May 28, 2018, 10:51 pm

It should work to peel right away or later. I often leave them in a bowl in the fridge (no ice water necessary) and just peel before I eat, too.

Enjoy!!

-Charlotte

• rebecca June 17, 2018, 3:30 pm

Yeah, I have tried this way and every other way on the internet. I get mine farm fresh from my “egg lady” every two weeks. I eat hard boiled eggs for breakfast every morning. While I love the taste of the farm fresh I end up with more on the shell than I get to eat. This method she shows has always been my go to since childhood, but has NEVER worked on my farm fresh eggs. Sorry, wish it was this easy. If I get the free range eggs at the store they slide right out of their shells with this method.

• Lynne Perry June 21, 2018, 7:32 pm

Making scotch eggs using fresh eggs and this worked amazingly easy. Thank you.

• Julie July 29, 2018, 1:01 pm

I’ve always had trouble peeling ‘farm fresh eggs’…so I’m trying your process today – along with what I’ve always been told to do – add a good deal of salt to the water. My husband asked for pickled eggs and I really didn’t want to do this since it is a pain to peel the eggs. Hope it works!
    I will let you know.