≡ Menu

Get the free guide: How to use Bone Broth to Heal + Delicious Recipes and Troubleshooting Tips!
Yes, please!

Paleo meets Weston A. Price

Cow tongue

Cow tongue

Last weekend I was invited to speak at the Weston A. Price conference in Portland, OR, where I along with 500 other traditional food devotees elbowed our way through cod liver oil, sauerkraut and kombucha tastings.

I learned a ton!  I was also reminded of things I KNOW but don’t practice for instance:  you and I both know we need to be eating more organ meats.

And I’m sure you, like me, have had a bad experience with the texture or taste of tongue, liver, heart – – although, I do know a very few people who swear by liver and eat it religiously weekly!

I was astonished at how delicious organ meats can be, however, when I sat down to the most delicious traditional food lunch last Saturday, prepared by the hotel chef.

I powered through the super tasty meatloaf before my family mentioned it was made from organ meats. I was stunned – not that I’d been duped, but that it tasted as good as my homemade loaf and had not one suspect texture.

Shoved way in the back of my freezer are the tongue, liver and heart from our last cow – – I recovered them, thawed them out this week and prepared the recipe below.

Check out the video – a short 7 minutes – where I show you the organ meats and how to prepare them.  Join me in resolving to add more organ meats – and therefore, more minerals, vitamins and good stuff –  in your diet!!  Truly, you won’t be able to taste anything odd!

To download this awesome recipe, just click here

And do share your genius in the comment section below this blog – will you try the recipe? Do you have another brilliant way of preparing organ meats so they taste great? Or just let me know your questions! This is where the conversation continues.

I’m excited to see you there and hear your ideas for making organ meats tasty!

You can stop in our Farm Store anytime to pick up the items to make this meal!

As usual, thank you for sharing, watching and adding your wisdom to the conversation.

xoxo

Charlotte

{ 12 comments… add one }
  • Jay D October 2, 2013, 3:58 pm

Wow…..I will try this meatloaf when Kay has no idea what’s for dinner she will be my Ginny pig because she says she hates so many different foods and will not eat this if she knew what it was. She does like meatloaf.

• Charlotte Smith October 2, 2013, 4:00 pm

Ha, Jay, that’s great – let me know how she likes it. Serve it with ketchup 🙂

-charlotte

• Jennifer M October 2, 2013, 4:57 pm

Looks delicious! Planning to try this but think I will combine tongue and ground beef. We eat liver and onions at least twice a month!!

• Charlotte Smith October 2, 2013, 6:50 pm

Oh you’re so good, Jennifer, liver and onions!! Does your boy eat it too? The tongue is great, you will love it!

xx
      Charlotte

• Sherry October 2, 2013, 5:28 pm

I grew up eating organ meats since my mom was a rancher’s daughter. She liked them for their nutrition. She also liked the fact that since they were “throw away” meats, they were cheap. She taught me that with organ meats, for the pound, you got all meat – no bone or fat!

She said I should look for a tongue under 3 lbs in weight as it would be the most tender. As an adult I can’t find one of any weight. I have asked for tongue at butcher stores but they are considered a delicacy in other countries so most tongues are shipped out AND they are expensive! If I really wanted one, I’d have to order a case. sheesh….

Our favorite was plain sliced tongue with salt for dinner or cold tongue sandwiches with mayo for lunch or tongue soup with a cream of mushroom base. Ahh… The delicious memories. Also, mom cut down the cooking time by pressure cooking the tongue. I’ve just simmer it for a few hours until the skin is easily removed. No cutting off the skin is necessary when it’s well cooked. Gosh, now I gotta request one from a local grower! I’m afraid of what the price might be though. There’s only one such delicacy per cow.

• Charlotte Smith October 2, 2013, 6:52 pm

Thanks, Sherry!! I love the idea of tongue soup – cream of mushroom, added to stew or minestrone. That’s a whole new world of options!

xx
      Charlotte

• Lynn W October 2, 2013, 10:55 pm

Nice recipe and video! The next time I have a group of people over I may have to try this. Or maybe for my son.

Great nutrients in those organs. I, like you, years ago had one of those ‘Organ’ meal experiences… But this recipe does sound like it would mask that flavor. And as one gal said she would add hamburger to it, I think that would be good.

Being a Raw Plant Based foodist right now, I won’t be making it for myself. ;o)

Blessings,

• Charlotte Smith October 3, 2013, 12:09 am

Thank you, Lynn 🙂 Hopefully your son will like it!

See you soon!
      xx
      Charlotte

• Leslie October 3, 2013, 1:19 am

I am a big fan of chopped liver sandwiches. I cook bacon in a pan and then caramelize onions in the bacon fat left. Then cook the liver in the same pan with the onions. All that flavor melts together. Throw it all into the food processor with a little yogurt, salt and pepper, and process it so that it spreads. I put it on toasted wheat or rye bread with some good quality mustard. It is my favorite way to have liver!

• Charlotte Smith October 9, 2013, 7:52 pm

Leslie, this sounds amazing. And, since you’ve got the yogurt in there I think you’ve created the perfect food! Thanks for sharing and I’m going to try this!!

• Jennifer M October 3, 2013, 6:29 am

My little guy is quite the selective eater, Charlotte! No liver & onions for him! But, I keep trying. He’s never wanted or been interested in egg yolks, but just last week I decided to try again after maybe a year of not offering – soft boiled egg yolk “balls” – now he eats them up and has seconds!

• Charlotte Smith October 9, 2013, 7:56 pm

Yummo!! egg yolks are wonderful for him and his brain development!!

xx