≡ Menu

Get Champoeg Creamery’s Magazine, ‘Raw Milk: A Love Story’, for free + recipes and healing stories from the farm!
Yes, please!

Leftover Raw Milk? You’ll LOVE This Recipe

Raw Milk Aplenty!

With a “fresh” cow on the farm this week (fresh = new baby = TONS of milk!!) we have lots of extra milk to play with!

“Fromage Blanc”

In addition to butter and maybe some pumpkin-spice ice cream, I like to whip up a batch of Fromage Blanc soft cheese with any milk that’s been sitting around for a couple weeks.

This is by far the easiest cheese in the world, and it’s classy, too, with a sophisticated French name.  “Fromage Blanc” means “white cheese” in French, but sounds sooo fancy when we say it.

Don’t Waste That “Old” Milk

It is a super great way to use up last week’s raw milk when your family wants to guzzle down the new fresh stuff you picked up today.  Your raw milk is too valuable to dump and this recipe is quick and nutritious.

I show you how in this short video – only takes a couple minutes to watch.

Wanna give it a try?  Stop in our Farm Store and pick up a jar of milk and a packet of Fromage Blanc today!

And if you’d like, share the love and forward this to your friends.

Thank you, as always, for reading, watching and being a part of our community and I’ll see you in the store soon!

xo,

Charlotte

{ 15 comments… add one }
  • Wendy Coffman May 2, 2013, 4:31 am

We haven’t tried it yet, but I’d love to give it a go. First we’d have to have leftover milk!

• Charlotte Smith May 3, 2013, 9:32 pm

Good point, Wendy 🙂 glad you’re enjoying the milk!!

• Sandra May 2, 2013, 11:18 pm

I just finished my first batch of fromage blanc. It was a snap to make just as Charlotte said it was. I divided the batch in three keeping one part plain, one savory and one sweet. The savory one is flavored with parsley and chives from my garden with a pinch of salt to bring out the flavors. The other is a blackberry, orange, basil. I used some jam I made earlier this year and stirred it in. This one is a bit sweeter to go with breakfast toast. I found that adding a pinch of kosher salt helped bring out the flavors. I love having yummy healthy raw cheese spreads.

• Charlotte Smith May 3, 2013, 4:29 pm

Yum, Sandra! Thanks for these new ideas… blackberry, orange, basil -what a unique combo. It seems the options are endless!

• Mary Franklin May 3, 2013, 11:18 pm

I made the Fromage blanc using Mesophillic packet and one drop of rennet as suggested on one of the printed direction i got at a class. It turned out, but not as creamy as your looked like in the video. I chopped up some fresh parsley, a little garlic and I did add a little yogurt to make it a little more creamy.

Next time I’ll get the packet you suggest in the video.

• Cheryl Wilner December 10, 2013, 12:37 am

I have recently started receiving my cowshare milk here in Virginia. I love this idea, as i sometimes cannot keep up with the amount we receive just by drinking and have been less than happy with the results of my yogurt and ice cream trials. Can you note where you got the cheeses culture? Thanks, glad to have found tour website!

• Charlotte Smith December 13, 2013, 6:22 pm

Hi Cheryl – Thanks for signing up!! I buy all my cultures at New England Cheesemaking Supply – very easy to order off the internet. They have a great site.

xx
      Charlotte

• Jim March 30, 2014, 4:55 am

Four bucks on the rail and twenty four a gallon? Outstanding!!! Demand must be coming up. Supply should follow.

Jim S

• Charlotte Smith March 30, 2014, 5:51 pm

Thanks for commenting, Jim. Hopefully supply will come up!! There’s a huge demand we can’t ever hope to fill. Our milk is $18/gallon, + $6 for the two jars refundable deposit.

• Cara August 5, 2014, 8:13 pm

Hi, I found the starter on the New England website and it lists directions for pasteurized milk. It includes heating. Is this the same starter you use?

• Charlotte Smith August 19, 2014, 10:13 pm

Yes, Cara I do use the New England Cheesemaking website and order the fromage blanc culture from them.

Good luck! Sorry for the delay – we were on vacation 🙂

• Holly March 4, 2015, 5:34 pm

Hi Charlotte, The directions that came with the Fromage Blanc culture says to heat the milk to 86 degrees. It looks like you skipped that step in the video so I’m wondering if that doesn’t apply to raw milk?

• Charlotte Smith March 6, 2015, 9:13 pm

Hi Holly – I do not heat it to 86 – I just let it set on my counter a couple hours and even if you stir it in cold it will eventually warm to room temp and culture overnight. I’ve made it hundreds of times so I’ve reduced it down to the most basic steps 🙂 Let me know how it turns out!!

Charlotte

• christine January 18, 2017, 7:19 pm

The instructions on the packet say to warm to 86F , but your video doesn’t say anything about warming up the mild. How important is the temp? I have been making raw milk kefir for years and would like to try this fromage blanc.

• Charlotte Smith January 18, 2017, 9:47 pm

Hi Christine – thanks so much for asking!

I don’t heat the milk to 86. I stir it right in just like in the video! You can do it either way.

good luck! The fromage blanc is excellent!

Charlotte